As dependable as your washer can be, there may come a day when it just won’t turn on. Fortunately, starting issues don’t have to be a dealbreaker for this trusty appliance. What do I do when my Maytag front load washer won’t turn on? Check the power connections to make sure it has adequate electrical power. Determine why your Maytag front load washer won’t start with these troubleshooting tips.
Maytag Front Load Washer Won’t Start?
One of These 5 Reasons Could Be Why.
While part failures may dictate a professional repair, a simple fix can be the solution when your Maytag front load washer won’t start. Here’s how to determine the source of starting problems to restore your washer’s function.
1. Check Power Connection
If your Maytag front load washer won’t start and the control panel doesn’t illuminate, a power issue may be the cause. The washer requires an adequate amount of electricity to power its motor and other functions.
Here’s how to check your power connections:
- Perform a Maytag washer reset: Try unplugging the washer for 1 minute before plugging it back in to see if power is restored.
- Power cord: Make sure the power cord is free of damage and completely plugged into a working outlet. Avoid using extension cords that can’t safely transmit the power required, resulting in shutdowns that cease function.
- Circuit breaker: Check your home’s circuit breaker box and reset any tripped breakers.
2. Washer Control Lock Engaged
Is your Maytag washer locked and won’t turn on? The Control Lock feature may be enabled. This setting locks all control panel functions to prevent an accidental start. When Control Lock is activated, the letters LoC or LC will illuminate on the control panel.
Consult your user manual to determine how to disable the Control Lock feature on your model washer. Some have a dedicated key for this function while others require you to hold down two keys simultaneously. Holding down the correct key(s) for 3 seconds disengages the Control Lock feature. LoC or LC should disappear from the control panel and all washer functions should resume.
3. Washer Door Isn’t Fully Closed
When your Maytag washer turns on but won’t start there may be a problem with the door closure. As a safety precaution, the washer won’t start if the door isn’t properly shut and latched. Always close the door firmly and allow 10 seconds for the latch to engage.
Check the door for trapped clothing that may prevent it from closing completely. If no obstructions are visible, that latch that secures the door and signals the washer to start may be defective. If the latch shows visible damage or fails multimeter testing with a lack of continuity, it should be professionally replaced.
4. Check Washing Machine Settings
Before starting your washer, always check the control panel to make sure it’s on the right setting for your wash load. If a setting like Delay Start is enabled, the washer won’t start immediately and will instead begin washing at a preselected later time. On some model washers, you can tell this function is activated if the Delay Indicator display is counting down. To turn off the Delay Start function, simply turn the washer off and turn it back on.
It’s also a good idea to check the control panel for error codes that could indicate a problem. Refer to your user manual to determine the meaning of the code and how to solve the designated issue. Lastly, if you find your Maytag washing machine start button not working, make sure you’ve held it down sufficiently. It’s necessary to hold the Start button down for 3 seconds to begin a wash cycle.
5. Washer Component Failure
If all else fails, a Maytag washer not starting on command may be due to a part failure.
The following malfunctions can prevent an immediate start and require a professional washing machine repair:
- Defective user control panel: If the washer has power but some control panel buttons work while others don’t, the panel is likely defective and requires replacement.
- Blown line fuse: To protect vital components, the line fuse blows if the washer circuits overload with power. The washer won’t start again until the fuse is replaced. Before replacing the fuse, check for common causes of overheating, such as shorted wires, to prevent it from blowing again.
- Timer: The timer controls all washer functions so they can start at the proper time. If the timer malfunctions, your Maytag front load washer won’t start on command. Multimeter testing of the timer can confirm failure with a lack of continuity.
From how to clean a front load washer to diagnosing starting issues, our experts can help. Contact Best Service Company for all your laundry appliance needs!